Building the Equitable City: Lessons Learned in Anti-Displacement and Equitable Development
- To register | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Session access | You can access all of your courses 24/7 by selecting My courses from the My AIAU dropdown menu. Live course registrants will also receive a confirmation email from AIAU containing access information.
Over the past half-century, our development policies and practices have led to segregated communities with starkly disparate realities. This trend is creating a society with vast inequalities and institutionalizing these inequalities into the very fabric of American society. Our cities today are struggling to recalibrate our approaches to growth and development so that everyone can participate and share in its benefits. This session will highlight perspectives from community leaders working on the frontlines of anti-displacement and equitable development efforts. It will feature initiatives to heal divides and repair the urban fabric to create more equitable communities. The session will share practical lessons learned from a range of diverse experiences in major American cities that can provide guidance to other community practitioners, designers and civic leaders. Hosted by Communities by Design (CxD).
- Describe current challenges and barriers cities face in creating more equitable development practices and policies.
- Explain the role of architects in decreasing displacement of local communities, especially underserved communities of color.
- Apply lessons learned from community leaders working on the frontlines of anti-displacement and equitable development initiatives.
- Adapt promising practices and innovative strategies for customized approaches to their own community contexts.
This session was recorded live on May 17, 2023.
Through decades of work in hundreds of communities with tens of thousands of volunteers and citizens, CxD Design Assistance Teams have proven that communities are at the heart of solutions to the world’s most pressing issues. Donate today to support this work.
This course is part of a series
Community Displacement Prevention Officer | City of Austin, TXNefertitti Jackmon is the City of Austin’s first Community Displacement Prevention Officer. She...
Principal | ZGF ArchitectsSteven Lewis is an architect and a tireless advocate for social justice and diversity within the...