Building for Resilience: Challenges, Advantages, and Strategies
Examine essential information on the urgency, necessity, and ROI of building for resilience that you can articulate to clients and implement in your practice.
Understanding the challenges and advantages of and the strategies for building for resilience is essential to the process of designing the next generation of buildings. Join industry-experts who make the case for how design strategy, architects, engineers, designers, and planners should all respond to extreme and escalating weather trends.
In this two-part, 1.5 LU/HSW session, presenters from the utilize current research, case studies, and data to provide a balanced message regarding the urgency, necessity, and ROI of building for resilience and offer practical approaches for best achieving desired outcomes.
In partnership with AIA|DC.
Part 1: Resilience by Design: What Businesses Need to Know about Weather and Climate Risks with Dr. Louis Gritzo
- Describe the risks of natural disasters and the need for resilient design.
- Describe lessons from past natural disasters on the east and gulf coasts on the built environment.
- Describe changes in climate trends and flood exposure risk in the DC region, and appropriate design responses to region-specific weather events.
- Describe loss prevention techniques such as flood barrier testing and certification options for buildings.
Part 2: Challenges and Opportunities in Resilient Building Design with Katie Wholey, ACIP
- Describe the concept of “Total Design” as the integration of the design and construction process and the interdependence of all the professionals involved; the creative and innovative nature of engineering design.
- Develop a suite of strategies that will mitigate risks and also meet client goals for resilient design.
- Implement strategies for educating the client and the design team on the hazards and potential risks at the project site.
- Implement strategies for establishing a clear definition of what resilience means to the client and how they expect the building to function.
Vice President, Research | FM GlobalDr. Louis Gritzo is vice president and manager of research with FM Global, one of the world’s...
Senior Resilience Consultant | ArupKatie Wholey is a Resilience Consultant and Urban Planner in Arup’s Boston office, specializing in...