Career Growth on Your Terms for Women in Design
Mia Scharphie is a designer, career coach, and trained facilitator, with experience in landscape architecture and urban studies. Her mission is to help women in the design and tech industry move their careers forward, gain confidence, and make the world a better place for women’s talent.
Ever feel restless or uncertain in your career—or like something’s off? Perhaps you've been doing the same thing for a long time or you feel stretched thin by keeping all the balls in the air, and it's hard to imagine how growing in your career could be sustainable for you. Or you're at a crossroads in your career, a transition point, or a plateau. You don't feel like there's a clear next step, guidance, or mentorship to see you through. If you're feeling this way, you're not alone! You may be facing "the midcareer moment," and that nagging feeling is a sign that it's time to find your next growth stage. But here's the challenge: We often misdiagnose exactly what we need to change in our careers at this key moment, and our real options for moving forward, so we can end up making a change that doesn’t solve the problem— or even makes it worse!
In this session, you'll learn:
- The four areas of career alignment—and how to precisely identify exactly what you need to adjust in your career to feel more fulfilled and satisfied by work.
- How to determine what career change to make—whether it’s landing a new project or making a career pivot - without “burning it all down” or starting from scratch.
- The critical career pitfalls that midcareer women face—and how to avoid them.
- How to identify and escape the tradeoff mentality that says you have to give up what you love to grow in your career.
- The secret to achieving more that you’re proud of in your career—while working less and having more mental space.
- How to ask for what you need and express the value you bring that will benefit your firm.
- Learn about career alignment and how to identify ways to adjust your path for more fulfillment and satisfaction.
- Learn processes for assessing their career so you can determine when and if a new direction, new project, or new position is needed and the time is right.
- Discover how to research potential career pathways.
- Learn how to decrease perfectionism in your work.
This session was recorded live on November 16, 2021.