Champlain Towers Collapse: Professional & Legal Implications for Design Firms
- To register | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Session access | You can access all of your courses 24/7 by selecting My courses from the My AIAU dropdown menu. Live course registrants will also receive a confirmation email from AIAU containing access information.
This session will center around the events that occurred before and after the catastrophic collapse of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida, in 2021. Discussion will include the ongoing intensive analysis by forensic investigators to determine a root cause, or causes, of the structural failure. Examine how this tragedy will affect our current and future legal and business operations for years to come. Understand how failure analysis is a part of our ongoing learning experience as architects.
- Examine the timeline of events on the day of the collapse of the Champlain Towers.
- Identify the issues in the forensic analysis of the building’s construction and maintenance history that possibly contributed to its deterioration and ultimate collapse.
- Review the professional and legal responsibility of architects and firms in the design and construction of buildings.
- Discuss how the Champlain Towers collapse and past building disasters shape the professional and legal direction of the industry.
This course is part of a series
Vice President | Ayers Saint GrossGlenn W. Birx, FAIA, is a Vice President and member of the Board of Directors of Ayers Saint Gross...
Co-Founder, Partner | Furukawa Castles LLPA Partner in the Design Professionals Defense & Counseling Group, primarily representing and...
Principal | Ayers Saint GrossDaniel S. McKelvey, AIA, LEED AP, NIBS, Principal, Ayers Saint Gross Dan is an architect with the...