Codes and Rating Systems for Resilience. Course 4. AIA Resilience and Adaptation Online Series.
Learn what level of property protection the codes provide and how to leverage rating systems to meet the beyond-code goals of your clients.
Building codes are designed to protect people; and thus building to code may not provide the level of property protection your clients want. This in-depth course offers a solution. You’ll learn how to unpack the level of protection building codes offer so you can best identify—and design for—resilience gaps. Through case studies and expert interviews, you’ll review how recent advances are reducing vulnerability, including lessons learned from past disasters, stretch codes, and performance-based codes. You’ll also review the full scope and limitations of the building code and how codes address the impacts of potential hazards for any region. Finally, you’ll learn how rating systems can complement, reinforce, or extend the provisions of local codes.
This course is part of the AIA Resilience and Adaptation Online Series, a multi-course series that provides you with the tools and knowledge you need to design for resilience. Take all of the courses in this series to earn a certificate of completion.
The AIA Resilience and Adaptation Online Series is developed by the AIA as part of the resilience and adaptation initiative.
- Explain the scope and intent of the building code and its limitations
- Understand the purpose and application of “stretch” and “reach” codes
- Discuss the role of land use planning and zoning, including form-based codes, in reducing (or enhancing) vulnerability
- Identify current ICC code provisions that impact hazard mitigation design for water inundation, wind/storms, other climate-related hazards, geologic/seismic hazards, and combined hazards
- Examine building rating systems that can be used as design tools for buildings to meet resilience goals
This course is part of a series
As experts in hazard mitigation, climate adaptation, and community resilience, these instructors...
Contents: Interactive videos, knowledge checks, quiz, evaluation
Expiration: One year after purchase
Passing Score: 80% on quiz