Design Innovation: How Architects Can Lead in Building Resilient Communities
After natural disasters like Katrina and Sandy, experts present steps to move your practice into a community leadership role on smart growth, emergency planning, and responsiveness.
In the wake of natural disasters like Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, there's a growing movement for building resilient communities.
Presented by national experts, this session will cover innovative design strategies that combine smart growth, emergency planning, all-hazard mitigation, and responsiveness to climate change and severe weather. You'll discover steps you can take to assume a community leadership role and advocate strategies such as:
• Resilient community design
• Full-spectrum planning
• Watershed management
Through domestic and international examples, you will learn best practices in resilient design and inspiring, actionable ways to lead your community into stronger disaster planning for the built environment.
• Describe the key elements of emerging state-of-art of resilient design. These elements are described in terms of existing knowledge base and emerging innovations.
• Describe innovative tools, concepts and designs that address resiliency. Thse tools will be illustrated in cases studies and supported by resource lists that are reviewed in the presentations and available on web as source material.
• Define their own opportunities for architectural leadership in resilient design. This is a very specific part of the interactive assignment. See the "attached resources" for a representative slide that indicates some of these.
• Use resources that are presented for self-study and for brown-bag luncheon presentations that attendees can bring to their own practices and communities.
FAIA, LEED Fellow
Professor, Carnegie Mellon UniversityVivian Loftness, FAIA, LEEDFellow, is University Professor and Paul Mellon Chair in Sustainability...
Architect, EarthRise designDonald Watson, FAIA is an architect with EarthRise design and author, Professor and Dean Emeritus...
Director of Science, The Nature ConservancyDr. Adam Whelchel’s twenty-three year career in leadership positions has focused on ecological...
Contents: Video, quiz, evaluation
Expiration: One year after purchase
Passing Score: 80% on quiz