Designing a Place of Hope: The Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building at UCSF Mission Bay
Tuesday, July 12, 2022 | 2pm ET
- To register | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Session access | You can access all of your courses 24/7 by selecting My courses from the My AIAU dropdown menu. Live course registrants will also receive a confirmation email from AIAU containing access information.
This presentation will reference the recently completed Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences building as a case study for communicating design concepts that include translating the client’s vision into design, development of the design in an IPD big room setting, clinical and lab planning for a neuroscience facility, and designing for seismic resiliency while supporting the project’s goals.
The Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building will serve as headquarters for the UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences, uniting departments of neurology, psychiatry and behavioral sciences, and neurological surgery. It will promote collaboration, bringing together multi-departmental clinics and clinical research centers along with dedicated laboratories, and computational research. A cross-disciplinary hub, the building will drive advances aimed at new treatments for disorders of the brain and nervous system while providing expert and compassionate care for patients.
This high-performing and complex building includes 68,000 sf Wet Research, 70,000 sf Dry Research, 60,000 sf Clinical Space, two 3T MRIs, and 15,000 sf of Shared/Support Program. The 282,900 sf Joan and Sanford I. Weill Neurosciences Building opened in the summer of 2021 at UCSF’s Mission Bay Campus.
Hosted by the Academy of Architecture for Health an AIA Knowledge Community.
- Translate donor and university vision into an elegant and welcoming place of hope
- Execute design within an IPD approach and for an academic client with a complex group of stakeholders
- Integrate a clinical plan for dignity and for patients with all neurological conditions
- Plan facilities for neuroscience research
- Design for seismic resilience
Senior Associate | Mark Cavagnero AssociatesA generalist by nature, with over 20 years of diverse experience, Paul focuses his keen eye towards...
Vice President | SmithGroupSuzanne has more than 30 years of architectural experience, with a focus on science and tech...
Senior Principal | Degenkolb EngineersRay has more than 30 years of structural engineering experience, with an emphasis on complex...
Associate | SmithGroupSally has over 20 years of experience in architecture and construction. Always with an eye on the...