Framework for Resilient Design: Lessons from New Orleans Go National
Critically examine the rebuilding of New Orleans after Katrina, and use the practical knowledge and real-world examples to better equip yourself to build truly resilient communities.
The term "resilience," is rarely fully understood. Is it durability, strength, adaptability, sustainability, or emergency preparedness? Discover the answers in this course, developed by AIA Firm Award winner Eskew+Dumez+Ripple, that critically examines the rebuilding of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Although this framework is particularly relevant for coastal communities, it can be applied to any area facing disaster, disturbance, or climate change. You’ll explore:
• Longstanding research on resilience
• Strategies for designing resilient buildings, campuses, neighborhoods, and cities
• Case studies on building design, community planning, site response, operations, and feedback loops
• Principles and concrete examples to apply in your practice
With the material covered, modern architects will be better equipped to build truly resilient communities.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Explain the difference between resilience, emergency preparedness, durability, hardening, and disaster recovery. They should be able to cite case study examples from New Orleans and explain how they apply to other regions and threats nationwide.
- Explain the differences between resilient design and sustainable design, how they sometimes pull design in conflicting directions, but how they can usually work together.
- Cite at least 3 examples of components of resilient design that provide Owner or Occupant benefits in everyday use.
- Explain the difference in resilience strategies for new vs existing buildings, and describe how strategies change when working at the scale of individual buildings, clusters of buildings, commercial corridors, and university campuses.
AIA, LEED AP BD+C
Principal / Director of Urban Strategies, Eskew+Dumez+RippleCollette Creppell, AIA combines architectural and urban-scale thinking to the question of how to...
AIA, PhD, LEED AP BD+C
Principal / Director of Sustainability and Building Performance, Eskew+Dumez+RippleZ Smith, AIA, PhD, LEED AP BD+C serves as Principal and Director of Sustainability and Building...
Contents: Video, quiz, evaluation
Expiration: One year after purchase
Passing Score: 80% on quiz