How Mass Timber Buildings Improve Our Climate & Our Communities
- To register | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Session access | You can access all of your courses 24/7 by selecting My courses from the My AIAU dropdown menu. Live course registrants will also receive a confirmation email from AIAU containing access information.
Hear from mass timber experts with first-hand experience and learn the benefits of mass timber, including its unique design and performance attributes, environmental and social benefits, and local sourcing from certified sustainably managed forests. Focusing on the 619 Ponce building, learn how the project team leveraged their #SeedlingsToSolutions tagline with multiple stakeholders, in turn contributing to sustainability and their environmental, social, and governance goals. Whether mass timber is new to you or you’re working on your 10th project, this session offers innovative, fresh, and tangible content certain to inspire your next project.This session will center around the events that occurred before and after the catastrophic collapse of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida, in 2021. Discussion will include the ongoing intensive analysis by forensic investigators to determine a root cause, or causes, of the structural failure. Examine how this tragedy will affect our current and future legal and business operations for years to come. Understand how failure analysis is a part of our ongoing learning experience as architects.
- Describe how various mass timber products and systems expand the options for wood building design and construction.
- Discuss various advantages associated with mass timber that are specific to embodied carbon, construction efficiency, occupant well-being, and more.
- Learn about the environmental and social benefits of building with locally sourced certified mass timber.
- Understand the role and value of specifying forest certifications when building with wood.
This course is part of a series
FAIA, LEED BD+C
Principal | Leers Weinzapfel AssociatesTom S. Chung FAIA, LEED BD+C is a Principal at Leers Weinzapfel Associates, recipient of the...
Partner | Struct.Eng., P.Eng., MIStructE, Dipl. Ing. FH/STV.
Aspect Structural EngineersBernhard has over a decade of international experience, delivering projects in Canada, US, Germany...
Senior Director Green Building and Supply Chain | Sustainable Forestry InitiativeAnnie works to inspire and advance positive change by accelerating sustainable development through...
Head of Development and Construction | JamestownCatherine Pfeiffenberger joined Jamestown in 2019 to head up the development and construction unit...