The Iconic House in Contemporary Design I
For most of recorded history, the history of architecture has been, in large part, the history of the house. Some houses are so memorable because of the form they take or connect so strongly with our ideas of domesticity, that they have become iconic, influencing subsequent generations of designers. Iconic houses can also have widespread appeal based on culturally determined ideas and forms which they embody, idealize, and often transcend.
This course explores what it means for a house to be “iconic” and the nature of what makes a house “iconic” in today’s world. The belief that architectural precedents have importance as embodiments of architectural principles, not as models to copy, is examined. Three architects present an “iconic house” that resonates with them and presents one of their own houses in relation to this “iconic house”.
Hosted by Custom Residential Architects Network (CRAN®)
- Understand what makes a house Iconic.
- Understand the importance of architectural theory in the process of design.
- Understand how various architects look at the role of precedent in relation to their work.
- Understand how various architects look at the idea of transformation and invention and originality with respect to an existing history of architectural work.
- Understand the relationship between precedent and typology in the design process.
This session was recorded live on March 17, 2021.
This course is part of a series
Moor, Baker and Associates Architects, P.A.Moor, Baker and Associates Architects, P.A. is the Vero Beach, Florida-based partnership of...
Cohen & Hacker Architects LLCStuart Cohen, FAIA, is a practicing architect, educator, and author. He is a fellow of the American...
Co-founder | Rehkamp Larson ArchitectsMark co-founded Rehkamp Larson Architects with his wife Jean in 2000 following his entrepreneurial...
Co-founder | Rehkamp Larson ArchitectsJean cofounded Rehkamp Larson Architects with husband Mark Larson in 2000 with the vision of an...
Founder | T.W. Ryan Architecture (TWRA)Founded by Thomas Ryan in 2013, T.W. Ryan Architecture (TWRA) is a design-led studio based in San...