The Iconic House in Contemporary Design I
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 | 1pm ET | Add to calendar >
- Registration | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Session access | From the My AIAU dropdown menu, select My courses, then select the session from your courses list.
For most of recorded history, the history of architecture has been, in large part, the history of the house. Some houses are so memorable because of the form they take or connect so strongly with our ideas of domesticity, that they have become iconic, influencing subsequent generations of designers. Iconic houses can also have widespread appeal based on culturally determined ideas and forms which they embody, idealize, and often transcend.
In this presentation what it means for a house to be “iconic” will be explored. The belief that architectural precedents have importance as embodiments of architectural principles, not as models to copy, will be explored. Three architects will present an “iconic house” which resonates with them followed by a presentation and discussion of one of their own houses in relation to this “iconic house”.
A panel discussion will follow to further explore the nature of what makes a house “iconic” in today’s world.
Hosted by Custom Residential Architects Network (CRAN®)
- Understand what makes a house Iconic.
- Understand the importance of architectural theory in the process of design.
- Understand how various architects look at the role of precedent in relation to their work.
- Understand how various architects look at the idea of transformation and invention and originality with respect to an existing history of architectural work.
- Understand the relationship between precedent and typology in the design process.
Can't make it live? This session will be available on-demand.
Moor, Baker and Associates Architects, P.A.Moor, Baker and Associates Architects, P.A. is the Vero Beach, Florida-based partnership of...
Cohen & Hacker Architects LLCStuart Cohen, FAIA, is a practicing architect, educator, and author. He is a fellow of the American...
Co-founder | Rehkamp Larson ArchitectsMark co-founded Rehkamp Larson Architects with his wife Jean in 2000 following his entrepreneurial...
Co-founder | Rehkamp Larson ArchitectsJean cofounded Rehkamp Larson Architects with husband Mark Larson in 2000 with the vision of an...
Founder | T.W. Ryan Architecture (TWRA)Founded by Thomas Ryan in 2013, T.W. Ryan Architecture (TWRA) is a design-led studio based in San...