Live Tour: Sixth Street Viaduct
Join us for an in-depth look into the exciting world of transportation infrastructure projects in the city of Los Angeles.
When: Friday, November 20, 2pm EST
- To register, click "Add to Cart," then complete the checkout process. But before you check out, add this event to your calendar >
- You will receive a registration confirmation email from AIAU Live Events. On the day of the event, you can access the tour from the confirmation email or by signing into AIAU, and selecting the session from your My Courses list.
Go behind the scenes of the new Sixth Street Viaduct, a transformative infrastructure project for the City of Los Angeles, with Tim Williams, managing principal, Michael Maltzan Architecture. The new viaduct will replace the original 1932 bridge and unite the Boyle Heights community to the east and the Arts District and Downtown to the west, making it an iconic and lasting landmark for Los Angeles.
Designed by Michael Maltzan Architecture and led by the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering, the viaduct is more than a simple replacement thoroughfare crossing the Los Angeles River. It foresees a multimodal future for Los Angeles, one that accommodates cars, incorporates significant new bicycle connections, and increases pedestrian connectivity, linking the bridge, the Los Angeles River, and future urban landscapes in a more meaningful relationship.
The design is equal parts engineering and architecture and is defined by ten pairs of iconic arches, rising and falling along the north and south edges of the bridge as it extends from east to west. Expected completion date: 2022.
- Discover the history of the bridge replacement project including the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering’s priorities for a multi-modal span to replace the original 1932 bridge.
- Develop urban planning skills that promote connectivity and accessibility for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians.
- Understand the digital design tools used to coordinate the architectural design and engineering of the iconic bridge structure.
- Explore the construction technologies and innovations underlying the largest bridge project in the history of Los Angeles.
In partnership with
Principal Civil Engineer | City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering
Principal Civil Engineer | Bureau of Engineering, City of Los AngelesJulie Allen has spent over 28 years devoted to public service, including leadership roles in...
Associate | Michael Maltzan ArchitecturePaul Stoelting joined Michael Maltzan Architecture in 2013 and over the past seven years has worked...
AIA, LEED AP
Architect & Chief Deputy City Engineer | Bureau of Engineering, City of Los AngelesDeborah is the Chief Deputy City Engineer for the Bureau of Engineering, and the highest-ranking...
Managing Principal | Michael Maltzan ArchitectureTim Williams has more than 29 years of experience and joined MMA in 1997. Over the past decades, he...
Contents: Live session, evaluation