Portland Building Perspectives
Tuesday, May 11, 2021 | 4pm EDT
- To register | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Session access | You can access all of your courses 24/7 by selecting My courses from the My AIAU dropdown menu. Live course registrants will also receive a confirmation email from AIAU containing access information.
In celebration of the recently completed Portland Building renovation, join us for a panel discussion featuring representatives from the City of Portland, Michael Graves Architecture and Design and the renovation project team. The panelists will share stories and insights from both the original construction project and the process of restoring and reinvigorating an architectural icon. Just as the Portland Building’s inception prompted an international conversation about Postmodern architecture and how we interpret history, so does the re-design engender a conversation about evolving approaches to historic preservation.
- Examine the history of the iconic Portland Building from inception to reinvigoration
- Discuss the rationale and success of the progressive design-build delivery model for this project
- Explore the approach to preserving the building’s historic integrity and design vision while modifying for building performance and occupant experience
- Investigate the role of the Portland Building re-design in the context of historic preservation
Can't make it live? This course will be available on-demand.
Principal and Studio Head | Michael Graves Architecture & DesignPatrick Burke, AIA, is Principal and Studio Head at MGA&D with over thirty-eight years of lead...
Senior Associate and architect | DLR GroupErica Ceder is a Senior Associate and architect at DLR Group specializing in the restoration and...
Brian Libby is a Portland, Oregon-based journalist and critic focusing on architecture and the arts...
Facilities Manager | City of PortlandKristin Wells is a registered architect and has been in project management and development for...