Saving Windows, Saving Money, Saving Carbon; Existing Window Solutions
Learn real-world solutions for issues related to wood windows, from energy modeling and evaluation to high-performance modifications, original window efficiency strategies, and more.
When renovating for improved energy performance, design teams and building owners struggle with the issue of existing wood windows. Should they be upgraded? Preserved? Replaced? What about lifecycle costing and assessment?
This course delivers cost-effective strategies, real-world solutions, and new tools for assessing wood windows. Segments include:
• Energy modeling and evaluation tools developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and other DOE partners
• How to modify wood primary windows for assemblies that match high-performance replacements
• Case studies of heritage buildings achieving LEED Gold or Platinum with original windows
• Cost-effective window strategies that produce significant energy savings for small commercial buildings
If you’re struggling to balance wood window renovation with energy performance, this valuable course will be a breath of fresh air.
By the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
• Identify current research and tools that assist in evaluating existing windows by going to specific reports and websites.
• Assess the cost implications and return on investment of decisions concerning existing windows.
• Make informed decisions about meeting energy performance and historic preservation goals.
• Reference real world examples that demonstrate tested successful enhancements of existing windows.
FAIA, LEED Fellow
Principal - Design, Preservation and Sustainability, Goody ClancyJean Carroon FAIA LEED Fellow is a Principal with Goody Clancy, a Boston-based architecture,...
AIA, LEED BD+C
Sustainability Enabler, Eskew+Dumez+RippleJacob Dunn grew up in the Boise, Idaho in the Pacific Northwest (ASHRAE Climate Zone 5B) before...
Contents: Video, quiz, evaluation
Expiration: One year after purchase
Passing Score: 80% on quiz