U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Professionals Practicum
Registration is closed. If you are interested in future sessions, please complete this short interest form and we’ll let you know when new sections launch!
10-week blended learning program
June 15, 2022 - August 17, 2022 | Live meetings: Wednesdays, 7:30-8:30pm ET
Summer 2022, Section 2
- To register | Click Add to cart and complete the checkout process.
- Program access | You can access all of your courses 24/7 by selecting My courses from the My AIAU dropdown menu. Registrants will also receive a confirmation email from AIAU containing access information.
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon® Professionals Practicum on AIAU provides architects and design professionals the opportunity to enhance their building science expertise while gaining practical experience in designing and championing zero energy projects. The Solar Decathlon Professionals Program is intended to increase the number of practicing design professionals and organizations providing zero energy design services. The program will help participants develop building science knowledge and gain practical experience designing zero energy projects.
Guided by an experienced sustainable design professional, participants will engage in a 10-week, integrated, system-by-system revision of a residential or commercial building design to reach a 100% zero energy target. Participants will estimate an energy use intensity (EUI) for their revised building and iterate as needed to confirm their design changes bring the building to zero energy.
Weekly live meetings and asynchronous team feedback will culminate in participant presentations of the strategies used to reach zero energy targets with supporting narratives, drawings, and specifications.
This cohort-based learning program emphasizes the practical application of zero energy design theory and processes, leaving participants with both the understanding and ability to implement zero energy design in their practice.
- Develop building science knowledge
- Gain practical experience designing zero energy projects
- Design and describe features that enable or constrain a project's ability to become a zero energy building
- Discuss strategies to revise a design to reach a zero energy target through a system-by-system approach
- Revise a residential or commercial building within your portfolio to reach a zero energy target
- Summarize design strategies through narrative as well as by providing key building component specifications
Is the program right for you?
- Who are you? An early- or mid-career architect or design professional
- What are you looking for? Expert-led, colleague-supported practical experience in designing zero energy projects
- Why should you register? You'll get what you're looking for, and more ...
- Weekly engagement with and feedback from an expert instructor
- Discussion, collaboration, and relationship building with a community of architecture and design professionals
- Practice in evaluating and designing for zero energy targets
- Ability to articulate and implement the “how” of zero energy design in architectural practice
- 12 AIA LU|HSW
- Automatic enrollment in the Solar Decathlon Building Science Education series on AIAU for reference and additional LUs
- Certificate of program completion
Seats are limited, so register now!
To ensure the most productive and professional learning experience, program participants must attend live weekly sessions, abide by the AIAU Digital Code of Conduct, and agree to the program's Confidentiality and Permission Statement.