Solar PV and the Architect
Start on the path to becoming a solar PV touchstone in your firm and community.
To reach our energy goals for 2030 and beyond, architects and design professionals must be prepared and willing to integrate solar PV into their everyday design & practice, and they must have the language and information to champion increased solar photovoltaics (PV) deployment on all new and existing buildings.
Through a series of conversations with industry experts and trainers, Peter J. Arsenault, FAIA and Peter J. Ewers, AIA, this course offers a manageable entry point into solar PV. From an overview of the technology and the industry, to busting common myths, to discussing of how to design for solar PV, the information and resources offered will start you on the path to becoming a knowledgeable touchstone for solar PV in your firm and community.
This course serves the Department of Energy’s SunShot Initiative mission to make solar energy fully cost-competitive with traditional energy sources before the end of this decade, making this clean renewable energy resource more affordable and accessible to Americans. It is made possible through the Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy’s Solar Training and Education for Professionals (STEP) funding and prepared by the Building Codes Assistance Project and the Center for Sustainable Energy, in cooperation with The American Institute of Architects and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers.
- Advocate for the economical, ecological, and community benefits of solar PV.
- Explain architectural integration of solar PV.
- Discuss the benefits of incorporating solar PV into your community and practice.
- Describe the components and operations of a solar PV system.
- Analyze the state of the market to identify the opportunities solar presents.
- Approach solar-related code and safety issues.
- Provide clients with reliable information on solar PV costs, benefits, incentives, and financing options.
Peter J. ArsenaultFAIA, NCARB, LEED AP
Peter J. Arsenault, ArchitectPeter is a registered architect, sustainability consultant, author, and speaker whose 38-year...
Peter J. EwersAIA, LEED AP BD+C
Founder / Ewers Architecture pcPeter has 30 years of experience designing residential and commercial projects and has been a...