Supportive Environments for People with Low Vision: Seeing the Light
Lighting and other environmental criteria can help create supportive surroundings for people with low vision.
Have you seen the light? More than 17 million Americans have low vision, making lighting an increasingly important consideration in design. Based on the latest Design Guidelines for the Visual Environment, this session shares some best practices in creating built environments that support people with low vision.
You'll gain an increased understanding of:
• How different types of low vision may be helped by particular design solutions
• What types of environmental measurements and criteria could be used in a standard for low-vision design
• Evidence-based design tools, techniques, and guidelines to help architects create supportive environments for people with low vision
- Determine criteria and evaluation methods for lighting, wayfinding, and surfaces/materials that are appropriate for particular design conditions and circumstances
- Understand how different types of low vision may be helped by particular design solutions
- Learn what types of prescriptive and performance-based environmental measurements, values, and evaluation criteria could be used in a standard for low-vision design, as opposed to the more broad-based guideline
- Use evidence-based design tools, techniques, and guidelines, including the current edition of the National Institute of Building Sciences’ Design Guidelines for the Visual Environment, that are currently available to help architects create supportive environments for people with low vision
PE, FIES, IALD, LEED Fellow
President, Clanton & AssociatesNancy E. Clanton is founder and President of Clanton & Associates, a lighting design firm...
Low Vision Optometrist, Division of Optometry, Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo ClinicDr. Dennis Siemsen is a low-vision rehabilitation specialist and medical optometrist in the...
FCSI, AIA, CCS, NCARB
Principal, The Design PartnershipEdd Soenke, current chair of the NIBS Low Vision Design Committee, established the Design...
Contents: Video, quiz, evaluation
Expiration: One year after purchase
Passing Score: 80% on quiz