Live Tour: Thom Mayne's House
Take a deep dive into the personal home of award-winning architect Thom Mayne.
When: Tuesday, November 10, 2pm EST
- To register, click "Add to Cart," then complete the checkout process. But before you check out, add this event to your calendar >
- You will receive a registration confirmation email from AIAU Live Events. On the day of the event, you can access the tour from the confirmation email or by signing into AIAU, and selecting the session from your My Courses list.
What kind of home does a Pritzker Prize winning architect known for provocative, complex architecture design for himself? Go inside Thom Mayne’s new build in Cheviot Hills to find out. Partly clad in metal with large, semi-perforated circles, the home stands out from the neighborhood’s Tudor Revival, Mediterranean Revival, and modern Craftsman styles. The living room, cantilevered over the pool, has glass walls that open completely, allowing guests to dive into the pool from the living room.
Mayne says that in building this house he was influenced by modern masters such as Schindler. “When we started, we said, ‘This is not Thom Mayne. This is not Morphosis. This is our house.’” To give a sense of dynamism, Mayne says “everything’s off by a degree and a half.”
Don’t miss the opportunity to experience how a modern master creates a dynamic, but soft, home filled with immaculate details—with the architect himself.
- Practice your eye's attention to detail and architectural intimacy.
- Devise how family homes develop into unique and specific sites which become an extension of a family's structure and values.
- Discuss the achievments and influences of architect, Thom Mayne.
- Analyze the definitions of domestic and domesticity, and theorize how such meanings make their ways into family homes.
In partnership with